Friday, October 24, 2014

EXCLUSIVE Musician Spotlight: Skylar Stecker

Skylar Stecker from Tampa, Florida is a wonderful 12 year old singer, songwriter and actor who loves music and entertainment. She is currently in California making her dreams come true. She hopes you like her singing and I can't thank you enough for your support.

Skylar will be perform at the Roxy in Los Angeles, California on November 16th, 2014. At the Roxy she will be performing thirteen of her original songs. If you are in the area make sure you check it out which happens to be her first concert.

We recently had the great opportunity to interview this upcoming and coming singer or her singing, is education important to her and if she is passionate about any charities. Here is what Skylar had to say.

When did you start singing?
When I was 9 years old. I signed myself up for a talent show to play the piano and the teacher in charge of auditions asked me to sing instead. I got in surprisingly for singing instead of playing the piano which was shocking because I had no idea I could even sing. Although, once I started, I couldn't stop singing.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Yes, well after the talent show, then I was hooked. I knew that is what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

Tell us about your style of singing?
I like singing pop music with a more urban style beat. I like to sing big!

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career and being a teenager?
There are many challenges but honestly all of the challenges is what also makes the good days so rewarding. The ladder is a high one to climb but every step has been so much fun!

Do your parents and friends support you?
Yes, they support me 100%! They know how committed and serious I am about doing this for a living. Music is who I am and there is no plan B.

Do you write your own songs?
Yes I do! I have a EP coming out in January with 7 songs on it and 4 of them I wrote entirely myself and the other 3 I co-wrote. I have been writing songs since I discovered I could sing. To me they come hand in hand.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
There is no magic potion. Every song starts in a different way for me. Sometimes I start with the beat/ melody on the piano and then write the lyrics and other times I shop beats and then write to the beat and then there has been a few that I have written in my head before I had a beat at all. I think what I am best at is coming up with the melody/ flow of how a song because once that is in my head, I start to get excited, and the rest just happens.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first performance was at the school talent show and yes I was excited but VERY nervous because I had never sang before that point. My first professional singing performance was when I sang the National Anthem for the Wisconsin Air show a few months after that. It was very exciting!

How do you prepare your voice for a performance?
I usually just do about 30 minutes of warm ups, drink water, get rid of dairy products, and focus.

If I went to one of your concerts, what can fans and I expect?
They can expect to hear me and not a track. I love to really get out there and go for it vocally and never hold back. THey can also expect to dance and have fun I hope! :)

Where have you been able to perform?
I feel fortunate that I have had a lot of cool opportunities already at only 12.  I toured with MattyB and did concerts with him in Atlanta, Dallas, NY, and Cali. I have also done at least 100 National Anthems throughout the U.S as well.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
Everything inspires me. Things I deal with, or things I witness others dealing with help make for good songwriting material. But as for singing, Beyonce, Bruno Mars and Alicia Keys all inspire me to be all that I can be on stage. I think they are amazing!

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Staple Center. Maybe its because it is where I saw Beyonce Live for the first time? Or maybe its because it is HUGE and if I could ever fill that place with my family, friends, and fans that would be pretty awesome!

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
Beyonce for sure!!!! I have loved her BIG voice since I first heard her with Destinys Child.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I just want to be the best I can be and to always put my stamp on everything that I do. I want to be the real deal and not just someone who has one track and then falls off the face of the musical earth. I want to have staying power.

What three words best describe you and your music?
Authentic, Bold, and Enthusiastic

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Go For It!  Everyone will have an opinion on who you are or what you should be or sound like but there is only one you. So stick with that!

Do you have any other talents?
I play the piano, dance, and am a pretty good cook;)

Are you passionate about any charities, if so, why?
Yes, many! Wheelchairs 4 kids because I am a kid and I can't imagine being in a chair that is uncomfortable for my entire life. This charity helps these kids get comfy chairs and or also makes their home wheelchairs accessible :) they are awesome! I am also a HUGE animal lover and a Vegetarian (I have been for 4 years now) So I am also involved with animal rights charities as well.  Pretty much anything with helping children or animals, I am in! :)

Is education important to you?
Yes very! Plus I have always been a huge reader/ writer and without that I am pretty sure this EP would never of happened.

Anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
That I love it!!!  I can't imagine my life without it!!! thanks for doing story on me!

You can learn more about Skylar by going to her site here, If you want to follow her on twitter click here and like her on facebook here.
Listen to her single 'Rooftop' below:

No comments:

Post a Comment